Carbon Reduction Plan
Edenred (UK Group) Ltd
Published 28th February 2023
Commitment to Achieving Net Zero Carbon
Edenred (UK Group) Ltd is committed to achieving Net Zero Carbon emissions by 2050.
BASELINE EMISSIONS FOOTPRINT
Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions. Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
|Baseline year: 2013
|Additional details relating to the baseline emissions calculations:
Our baseline emissions inventory includes our measurable:
Our Scope 3 emission are fully estimated, and do not currently consider categories such as product lifecycle, business travel, employee commuting and the purchase of goods and services, as these have not been historically measured. Edenred (UK Group) intends to begin addressing these during 2023. As such, we have estimated our overall Scope 3 based on guidance* that up to 80% of an organisation’s emissions fall within this scope.
* Source PRN_0621_Technical_standard_for_the_Completion_of_Carbon_Reduction_Plans_2_.pdf
|Baseline year emissions:
CURRENT EMISSIONS REPORTING
|Reporting year: 2022
EMISSIONS REDUCTION TARGETS
To continue our progress to achieving Net Zero, we have adopted the following carbon reduction targets.
GHG emissions intensity was reduced by 31% (Scope 1) and 72% (Scope 2) in 2022, from 2013 baseline, partly due to enhancements made to heating, cooling, and lighting, and wide home working practices from 2020.
The total reduction target of 63% for 2022 is for now, exceeded and well on the way toward the reduction target of 84% by 2030 and to achieve Zero net carbon by 2050.
Edenred UK is committed to the Focus on the carbon footprint of our solutions and enhance our climate report disclosure
Reducing the carbon footprint, consumption of resources and waste production by improving the energy efficiency of operations and solutions.
Developing low-carbon fleet and mobility solutions and combating food waste.
Managing the footprint of its solutions throughout their life cycle to reduce the use of natural resources and work toward the circular economy.
1. Raising employee awareness about reducing energy use: Posters in the building, information in the welcome kit, specific webinar.
2. Asked our energy supplier to increase frequency of your invoice if received on an annual basis. It allows to better follow your average and peak consumption.
3. Investing in low-energy appliances: LED lighting, low-energy heaters, more efficient equipment.
4. Decreasing the number of light sourcesby organizing the workplace according to natural light.
5. Favouring central heating rather than individual heating.
6. Implementing Environmental Management System (ISO14001).
7. Requesting an energy audit to target weaknesses of your building and identify the levers for reduction. It will give you recommendations to improve the performance and reduce energy waste.
We project that our carbon emissions will decrease over the next five years to 267 tCO2e by 2027
CARBON REDUCTION PROJECTS
Completed and Ongoing Carbon Reduction Initiatives
The following environmental management measures and projects have been completed or implemented since the 2013 baseline.
ISO 14001 – Resource Usage
- 2013 – measurement of waste programs to promote recycling and reducing wherever possible
- 2014 – Staff Awareness program with a “swich off when not in use” campaign
- 2017/2018 – Heating boiler controls upgraded to improve main HVAC plant
- 2018/2019 – extended installations of LED lighting across 2 main sites
- 2019 – Introduction of Video Conferencing equipment (Lifesize and MS Teams), to reduce travel between sites
- 2022 – introduce more office planting to improve overall office environment and support carbon reduction
- 2022 – review property portfolio / office space for future needs
- 2017 – launch of eGift Card proposition (migration away from paper and plastic solutions)
- 2021/2022 – launch digital Luncheon Vouchers and digital Compliments Vouchers (reducing own paper consumption for voucher production and delivery / transportation)
- 2021/2022 – Introduction of recycled plastic prepaid cards offer for participating clients
- 2022 – withdraw final CV paper vouchers from sale
- 2022 – developing digital Eyecare Voucher product
- 2022 – Plasticless prepaid card development – 80% of prepaid card issuing to migrate to electronic solution
The carbon emission reduction achieved by the contribution of these schemes equate to a 68% reduction against the 2013 baseline.
Office Working Environment
Edenred (UK Group) Ltd currently occupies rented office space for some of its operation. This office space is poorly insulated and has legacy gas powered central heating. The lease agreement for this office space will expire during 2023, and we will take this opportunity to make a number of improvements by either relocating to a more energy efficient property or through negotiations with the existing workspace landlord to ensure appropriate refurbishments can bring it up to an appropriate standard.
The requirements that will be negotiated include, but are not limited to: -
- An improved EPC (energy performance certification) rating from C52 to a minimum B39
This should be supported by: -
- Installation of internal perimeter wall thermal insulation
- Roof void insulation and replacement ceiling tiles
- Replacement of gas-powered central heating system with electrical air conditioning / heating system – new system to have individual zoned controls allowing heat / cooling where required
- Upgraded energy-efficient electrical water heaters
- Replacement flat panel DALI LED lighting with daylight sensing, advanced dimming and smart motion detection sensors to help meet energy requirements
- And finally, a commitment from the landlord for future proofing the EPC
We will also seek to introduce more office planting across both sites to improve the overall office environment and aid carbon reduction.
Other Carbon Reduction Initiatives and Projects
Practice sustainable procurement
- When tendering, ensure suppliers provide their green credentials
- Where practical, choose local suppliers to reduce travel
- Choose recycled or sustainable products where possible
Office Working Environment
- Following COVID19, Edenred have adopted a hybrid working policy, which allows employees to work from home two days per week, which reduces our carbon footprint as a company
- More Sales and / or Project consultations are now held virtually, reducing travel and increasing overall efficiency and productivity
- Edenred (UK Group) Ltd owns another property which it operates from. In addition to completed projects (such as HVAC and Lighting improvements), we anticipate we will replace the gas-powered heating system with a more efficient electrical installation by 2030.
- Continue to monitor consumption and reconcile with bills monthly to identify anomalies quickly and take corrective action
- Edenred UK are members of the Social Value Portal. In 2022, we undertook a 12-week review to ensure our social value activities, metrics & reporting adhere to best practice. Led by our external consultant, a group of 12 stakeholders from all business units completed a social value diagnostic survey and attended workshops to determine and embed our social value commitments.
- As UN Global Compact signatories our KPI’s are also aligned to the UN Sustainable Development Goals including Goal 13 - Climate action – cutting carbon to net-zero and building resilience against the physical impacts of climate change.
- For the remaining emissions, Edenred (UK Group) Ltd will seek to work with a climate specialist partner with the initial aim of further refining the measurement of our carbon emissions footprint (especially scope 3) and then consider offsetting initiatives.
DECLARATION AND SIGN OFF
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Edenred (UK Group) Ltd will look to seek the ongoing support from its global parent company who has also have the stated objective of achieving Net Zero Carbon by 2050 in line with SBTi (science-based target initiatives) and who are part of CAC 40 ESG Index.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting.
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3).
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the board of directors.
The Board of Directors
Edenred (UK Group) Ltd
28th February 2023