Our flexible benefits scheme, ‘Elements’ has been in place for several years. It aims to enable employees to access a fantastic range of benefits to suit their lifestyle, whilst capitalising upon savings available to all parties via salary sacrifice arrangements. It also provides an ideal way to give something extra to our employees, where they can benefit from the buying power of a large organisation.
Our Elements scheme has naturally evolved over time and now includes benefits to save money, support wellbeing and importantly, family.
Schneider Electric recognises the difficulties many working parents face – particularly in balancing a job with the demands of a family. Childcare vouchers have therefore been an integral feature of our Elements scheme. Edenred is our chosen partner for the provision of our Childcare Voucher Scheme.
Launch & implementation
Employee elections for our flexible benefits took place during March 2011, with first deductions being made via the April payroll. Communications commenced long before this, via a range of media designed to target 2500 employees across all businesses, sites and roles within the UK.
Our communications ensured that employees understood the benefits available and were able to determine whether they suited their personal circumstances. The campaign aimed to be inclusive of all employees and to maximise the number of elections across the range of benefits available.
Due to the diverse nature of our workforce, we could not simply rely on e-mail communications. Over 30% of employees are based within a manufacturing environment, without ready access to a PC.
The communications approach is outlined below:
April 2010 - December 2010 - feedback from employees on the Elements scheme, requests for suggestions for 2011
December 2010 - selection of providers and Board Approval of Elements 2012
January - February 2011 - working with chosen providers to establish communications materials
- briefing to our consultative committee
- commencement of communications via team meetings and poster campaign introducing Elements 2011
- letter to all employees with our Elements 2011 Handbook that summarises each benefit available
- HR Intranet updated with the Elements 2011 Handbook, further information on each benefit, FAQ’s, guide to making selections
- Target e-mails to all employees reminding them of the timeline for elections
February 2011 - March 2011
- 25 Roadshows at key sites across the UK, the majority of which were attended by Edenred. These comprised of a presentation summarising the benefits available and a ‘marketplace’ where employees could meet with providers and get further information
March 2011 - Employee elections via online tool
- Ongoing e-mails and intranet updates
April 2011 - First deductions via payroll