The business needed to enhance its reward and benefit offering to improve take-up among staff and support objectives in terms of putting customers at the heart of everything they do, including the objective of becoming the number one rated supplier by customers by 2015.
npower is a large, complex organisation with diverse business units; distinct employee groups in terms of working patterns and accessibility to key corporate messages; and a wide range of IT access levels.
The take-up of Voluntary Benefits and use of the Total Reward Statements was poor, largely due to issues surrounding communication and access to these benefits. This needed to be addressed in a bid to improve performance and promote and recognise positive behaviours at the heart of the business.
npower worked with Edenred to simplify its reward and recognition, designing an online platform that would give all of its staff access to their Peer-to-Peer Recognition Scheme, Online Benefits Portal and Flexible Benefits Package, all in one place. This included creating a comprehensive communication strategy to support the launch.
Launch & Implementation
npower and Edenred worked together to create a fully bespoke reward and benefits platform, called ‘Your Hub’, which integrated benefits, peer-to-peer recognition and enabling communication, especially for those who didn’t have access to email and intranet correspondence.
The scale of business engagement in both the new development and their communication was unprecedented for npower and the sheer volume of communication pre and post launch was outstanding.
Edenred delivered a webinar training session focusing on how to use the new portal – this was designed to be really engaging and innovative in order to communicate benefit offerings and create a buzz.
The HR Director at npower says, “Edenred have helped us develop an innovative and vast communications plan to improve performance and support the take-up of our benefit offerings. npower is an extremely complex business and this programme has provided a simplified proposition for our employees, further embedding our behavioural change programme ‘critical behaviours’, and demonstrating how these relate to our people strategy and priorities. The pace and quality of roll out has also been highly commendable. It provides an excellent platform to support even more changes in the future”.
The communication and execution of the portal has been a real success, with the intranet stories, webinars and email campaigns receiving a very positive response:
- 200+ managers attended the webinars
- Recordings of the webinars were distributed to an additional 600 staff, who then cascaded these to a further 2,000+ employees in employee briefings
- 70% of employees at each site visited the road shows which included stands and floor walks discussing the new portal
- Over two-thirds of all staff have logged onto the central hub since the launch
- 67% of employees have received recognition from peers, smashing the target of 25%
Continual feedback from managers and employees indicates that employees are now more aware of their rewards package and engaged through recognition. A recent staff survey found:
- 68% feel they receive recognition for a job well done from my line manager/team leader/supervisor
- I receive recognition for a job well done from my colleagues (67%)
By working in partnership the team have managed to improve efficiencies within the business and contributed to an estimated five days per month reduction in workload, equivalent to a £10,000 saving, by incorporating HR communications on the ‘Your Hub’.
An Award-Winning Scheme
- npower achieved the bronze award in the IPM Awards 2014 for ‘Employee Recognition Programmes’
- They were also shortlisted for the Employee Benefits Magazine Awards 2014 for ‘Best Benefits Communications – Large Employer’